bereshit

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Wed Mar 13 20:38:33 EST 2002

Peter, I can only take your response as avoiding the basic content you are responding to.

In attempting to understand why all the examples of bywm
I indicated existed govern a clause and not just a noun,
I posited an idea. You respond to only that element of my
post and this:

>Also, I quite deliberately wrote "seems" in "Gen 1:1 seems to be a
>unique construction with no exact parallels", though "as far as I know"
>would have been more precise. No one in this debate or previous ones has
>quoted any exact parallels,

But the exact parallel that you want is a requirement
that you are unable to supply with your contention.

I have supplied very many citations for the government
of clauses by time phrases such as bywm. You don't
consider that evidence at all. As I said, bywm
routinely governs clauses and all examples of br'$yt
are qualified examples. Please, look at the evidence.

>and indeed if we require parallels with
>bereshit as the first word there are certainly none.

As the first word of what? A book? A sentence?

>You have found some examples...

You've progressed from "a few" to "some", but there
are more than just "some".

>...which are quite closely parallel but not exactly so, and I have
>discussed them.

Sorry, Peter, I must have missed it. The first time
you brushed aside the examples as "a few" without
comment on them. You seem to do the same again here.

>I invite you and others on the list to submit other
>close parallels, especially of the form B-noun verb subject object
>W-subject verb... (noun is temporal, no article, absolute or construct).

Please check each of the references I gave in the
in my original post and I said that there were many
more if you did a search for yourself. Peter! Your
invitation is a bit late and I gather you simply
didn't read much of my post, offended with my
attempts to understand why these time phrases such as
bywm and l`t take full clauses without something
like 'mr as in other apparent noun phrases.

Ian