classical hebrew (was: Is there a difference...?)

Dr. Reinhard G.Lehmann lehmann at mail.uni-mainz.de
Wed Jun 19 10:38:38 EDT 2002

Dear Uri, and all.

I did not have special northern material in mind - as you know, there's only few. I will have a look.
But I am not as sure that even the southern epigraphic material is SBH (or, as you wrote, "very much like").

In that very moment I had in mind the passage in Arad 24:17-19
wdbrhmlk.'tkm/bnb$km. hnh $lxty lh*yd/bkm.hym.h'n$ym.'t.'ly$/*

It does not sound to me very much like SBH, but seems to be a kind of military colloquial... or am I wrong?
And what is about the syntax of the Siloam tunnel inscription? Is it really SBH? - okay, do we already know what ist
SBH?
And the syntax of Yabneh Yam sound to me strange in the first lines, but admittedly that depends on what one reads in
those lines.

Reinhard

> Subject: Is there a difference  (re "classical Hebrew")
> From: "uri hurwitz" <uhurwitz at yahoo.com>
> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:34:51 -0400
>
>   In his answer to the question about what may termed 'classical H',
> Reinhard Lehmann was of course right: it is a matter of personal
> preference.
>   Also in his answer he says: "This alltogether is mostly Biblical
> Hebrew,whom the language of early inscriptions should relate in some
> way(but that's not so easy at all)."
>   Now, I'm puzzled by the bracketed statement -- the epigraphic material
> from Yabneh Yam  ( the poor fellow whose clothing was taken away), some of
> the Lakhish letters, or Arad ostraca reads very much like standard BH.
>    Did Reinhard have Northern material in mind?         Uri Hurwitz

       Dr.  Reinhard G. Lehmann
       Forschungsstelle fuer Althebraeische Sprache
       Johannes-Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
       D - 55099 Mainz
       tel: (+49) 6131 - 39 23284
       mailto:lehmann at mail.uni-mainz.de