re'em and unicorn and wild ox

Ben and Jo Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Sat Jun 15 17:15:35 EDT 2002

On Fri 14 Jun 2002 (16:10:53), schmuel at bigfoot.com wrote:
> And any other interesting tidbits (OId Latin, DSS, whatever)
> ... (I put Septuagint in quotes because it is a loosely defined term)

 Dear Shmuel,

 I don't know why I forgot the Vulgate; but checking St Jerome's magnum opus
 I find that Re:'em is rendered /rinoceros/ in Numbers 23:22, 24:8 and in Job
 39:9 and 10.

 However, in Psalms 29:6 [28:6 in Vulgate] and 92:11 [91:11] Jerome offers
 us /filius unicornium/ and /sicut unicornis cornu/ respectively.

 So even he could not make up his mind...

 Ben
 <ben.crick at argonet.co.uk>
 http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm