The english word "Jew"

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Thu Jun 13 10:21:10 EDT 2002

At 00:36 13/06/02, Ralph Purificato wrote:

>My question here is where did the English word "Jew" come from. He
>believes it was made up by Shakespeare and says the word did not exist
>before that.

This is a question, the answer to which is readily available in a good
dictionary, such as the Oxford English Dictionary, where you will find the
dates of first recorded usage of any word are listed.

I would suggest you seek recourse to a good library, rather than a mailing
list dedicated to the study of biblical Hebrew.

mauros at iol.ie