The english word "Jew"

Ralph Purificato ralphp3 at Juno.com
Wed Jun 12 19:36:34 EDT 2002

I am not sure of the motive but I have someone who does not believe or he
is being lead to believe that the people who call themselves Jews are not
the same people that descended from the tribe of Judah. Stranger still he
claims to be Jewish. He believes that the present and also those who are
called “Jews” in the New Testament belong to some other tribe that took
over the identity of the true “Jews” descendents of  Judah.

My question here is where did the English word “Jew” come from. He
believes it was made up by Shakespeare and says the word did not exist
before that.

Thanks so much

Ralph