Hurvitz argumentation

Yigal Levin Yigal-Levin at utc.edu
Tue Jun 11 13:01:37 EDT 2002

At 09:48 AM 6/11/2002 -0400, Vincent DeCaen wrote:
>in the meantime, one of the ironies of his studies, i think, is that by
>arguing against the Wellhausen scheme, and correctly (!), his results are
>also compatible with the minimalist scheme.

Unfortunately, I fail to see the connection. Such scholars as Van Seters,
Friedman and even Cassuto have argued for years against the "classic"
J-E-D-P scheme. The question is not when these "documents" were set in
their present written form, but how reliable they are as preservers of
conveyers of historical tradition. The linguistic argument is important,
but not PROOF of anything but that they texts have gone through a process
of editing and re-writing.

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga