Of Fathers and Sons

Daniel Walin danserve4x at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 7 16:52:37 EDT 2002

What about Joseph?  I would venture to say from what
we are given in Biblical accounts that he was a better
man than his father, Jacob.  Joseph certainly doesn't
seem to ever be unfaithful at any rate.

What about Adam and Able?  Able is never recorded as
doing anything unpleasing to God, while Adam we know
sinned by disobeying God's direction in Eden.

What about Saul and Jonathan?  The point there is
obvious.

And could you explain why David and Solomon don't fit
this pattern?  I would count the transition from David
to Solomon as a degeneration, even if you include the
Bathsheba incident.

This is not to say I don't agree with what you say
about there being something of a pattern there, but I
simply wanted to point out that it is not without
exception.

And perhaps this apparent pattern has more to do with
mankind's tendency to be more rebellious in youth and
to fear God more as they age than it does something
about fathers and sons.  After all, if they are
showing the father and the son in the same period then
the father is obviously older, and hence usually more
wise.

Daniel Walin
Wichita Falls, Tx