The daughter of Jeftah died? (Lee to Liz)

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Tue Jun 4 07:37:46 EDT 2002

Writing to Liz, Lee said:

>As you say, "assumptions are embedded which, upon closer examination, may
>not pan out."
>Daniel has proven that one of your own assumptions does not "pan out." Your
>assumption that "If you argue that this describes an histoical (sic) event,
>then you must have some theory in mind..." is obviously untrue, since Daniel
>does argue for historicity, but he does not have a theory of transmission.
>He simply believes the narrative to be true. No theory of transmission is
>necessary to support one's faith in the biblical text.

I don't think you are correct in your analysis, Lee. One can
believe that "this describes an histo[r]ical event" without
having "some theory [of transmission] in mind". Daniel has
stated his belief. This however does not imply that one can
"argue" that the Jephthah story was historical and in fact
Daniel has not done so. He simply stated:

All nice belief statements. On transmission, he wrote:

>>These are things that can't currently be known, to my
>>knowledge, with any certainty.

He does not at all argue for the historicity of the
material.

I don't see that Liz's criterion is an assumption at all.
It is a necessity for any historical argument: one needs
to know how the information comes to us for it to have
historical validity. A story detached from any historical
context is, as is, unhistorical. Though this is the case
for the vast majority of the biblical narrations, it is
only a historical reflection and does not in itself say
whether the events happened or not, but that they cannot
be used for historical purposes (as claims that they
actually happened indicate).

Ian