The daughter of Jeftah died?

Madden, Shawn sMadden at sebts.edu
Mon Jun 3 17:12:02 EDT 2002

"Who is the author of the book of Judges,
when did he live, where did he live?
What was the process by which he wrote these (hi)stories?"

Though today skepticism exists as to who the author actually was, the Talmud was confident to name Samuel, a person who would satisfy as one who would be familiar with the events or documents pertaining to the events. He would also be someone respected enough to suggest that perhaps what he wrote was worth keeping. As to how he wrote, who knows; who thinks they can present an argument for the exact transmission details. And, who thinks that lack of such knowledge negates the works we have today? Does 21st century standards the only standards by which we judge the value and veracity of ancient writings? Herodotus, problems though he may have by today's standards, remains the father of history.