The daughter of Jeftah died?

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Mon Jun 3 10:00:58 EDT 2002

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Polycarp66 at aol.com [mailto:Polycarp66 at aol.com]
  Sent: Mon, June 03, 2002 9:52 AM
  To: lizfried at umich.edu; b-hebrew at franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  Subject: Re: The daughter of Jeftah died?

  In a message dated 6/3/2002 8:42:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lizfried at umich.edu writes:

    The story may be related to the permission granted husbands and
    fathers to abrogate the vow of a woman. She, being such a rash
    and foolhardy creature, may be given to making vows like Jephtha's
    without considering the Doctrine of Unintended Consequences.

  Interesting thought.  Would that make the author an early warrior in the
proto-battle for feminist rights?

  Maybe, maybe pointing out that men can be stupid too. duh!

    I'm not attempting to belittle your idea or the need that obviously
existed to establish the rights of women.  I'm afraid I may have phrased it
poorly.  Hopefully you will understand the meaning.

  gfsomsel