SV: The daughter of Jeftah died?

Lawrence May lgmay at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 1 20:47:57 EDT 2002

Jdg 11:29-40 - Several important lessons are to be learned from
Jephthah's vow.
    1. There may be remainders of distrust and doubting, even in the
hearts of true and great believers.
    2. Our vows to God should not be as a purchase of the favor we
desire, but to express gratitude to him.
    3. We need to be very well advised in making vows, lest we entangle
ourselves.
    4. What we have solemnly vowed to God, we must perform, if it be
possible and lawful, though it be difficult and grievous to us.
    5. It well becomes children, obediently and cheerfully to submit to
their parents in the Lord. It is hard to say what Jephthah did in
performance of his vow; but it is thought that he did not offer his
daughter as a burnt offering. Such a sacrifice would have been an
abomination to the Lord; it is supposed she was obliged to remain
unmarried, and apart from her family. Concerning this and some other
such passages in the sacred history, about which learned men are divided
and in doubt, we need not perplex ourselves; what is necessary to our
salvation, thanks be to God, is plain enough. If the reader recollects
the promise of Christ concerning the teaching of the Holy Spirit, and
places himself under this heavenly Teacher, the Holy Ghost will guide to
all truth in every passage, so far as it is needful to be understood.