SV: The daughter of Jeftah died?

Christian M. M. Brady cbrady at tulane.edu
Sat Jun 1 19:18:01 EDT 2002

On 6/1/02 5:35 PM, "Polycarp66 at aol.com" <Polycarp66 at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 6/1/2002 6:19:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> cbrady at tulane.edu writes:
>

>> sh at teol.ku.dk

>> If I may speak for the previous poster, it means that we should not
>> necessarily assume that the text refers to an *actual* historic event, but
>> that it is just a morality tale.
>

> And what is the moral point of her being sacrificed?

That is for the reader to determine (the whole point of these sorts of
narratives where the narrator does not provide a moral judgment is for the
reader/audience to think about it themselves). I will say that I don¹t think
the focus is so much upon her being sacrificed as it is the broader story
line of Jephtah being rejected and then called back and inappropriate vows.
Consider comparing this story with Saul...

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."
~ Mark Twain