SV: The daughter of Jeftah died?

Christian M. M. Brady cbrady at tulane.edu
Sat Jun 1 18:18:16 EDT 2002

On 6/1/02 5:16 PM, "Polycarp66 at aol.com" <Polycarp66 at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 6/1/2002 9:13:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sh at teol.ku.dk
> writes:
>

>> Could it be the text SAYS she was ritually sacrificed, but does not
>> necessarily report historical events? I'd tend to think the text is a piece
>> of Israelite/jewish philosophical reflection on themes like fate and human
>> responsibility. Some might even say it's a lot more edifying that way.
>>

> Huh?  What is this supposed to mean.  Please expand.

If I may speak for the previous poster, it means that we should not
necessarily assume that the text refers to an *actual* historic event, but
that it is just a morality tale.

But I could be wrong about what s/he meant...

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
Never ask a guy what kind of computer he drives.
If he's a Mac user, he'll tell you. If he's not,