hu=hi?

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Tue Jul 30 23:52:20 EDT 2002

> In a message dated 7/30/02 7:25:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dwashbur at nyx.net
> writes:
>     But if we assume the Masoretes were preserving the pronunciation
>     traditions as handed down to them, they should have known, as well. So none of this
>     really helps to explain the phenomenon under consideration.
>

> I don't understand this. This Masoretes considered the consonantal text as fixed and pointed
> HW) as hi' when it was feminine because that was their pronunciation even though it did not
> correspond with the text. If the text at one time was written in a script in which like DSS the waw
> and yod were virtually indistinguishable, later conservative scribes could well have uniformly
> written HW) for HY) even though they knew very well how to pronounce it. This may well be
> evidence (as confusing as it is) for dating the fixing of the standard orthography of the Torah, but I
> do not at all see why this needs to be evidence for dating the composition of the Torah.
> ---
This kind of speculation gets us nowhere, so I won't pursue it except to point out that
the Masoretes had no problem in other parts of the text using a Qere reading to
"correct" a HW) reading to HY) when they felt it was necessary.  But in the Torah,
they did things differently.  Why this should be so, is the question at hand.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur