raqia encore

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sun Jul 28 04:20:45 EDT 2002

Dear Ian,

If you use the word "cognates" regarding Tiamat and THWM in its
normal sense,you stand on a shaky foundation. C. Westermann wrote in
his monumental work on Genesis (Genesis 1-11 (1974), Minneapolis:
Augsburg Publishing House, p. 107):

"Tiamat in Babylonian is almost always a proper name and is only
rarely used for the ocean or the sea, which are regularly called
tamtu. Tiamat is a mythical being, and THWM never has this meaning in
the Old Testament. the phrase "upon the face of the deep" shows that
it is not a case of a mythological being but of a flood of water. It
is impossible  phonetically and grammatically to derive THWM from the
Babylonian Tiamat; THWM has a masculine ending, Tiamat a feminine;
the H of the hebrew THWM cannot be explained as deriving from Tiamat."

Westermann points out that there is agreement that both words go back
to a common Semitic root (No traces of "Proto-Semitic" has ever been
found. so it is just hypothetical), and then he concludes:

"There is widespread agreement that Tiamat and THWM go back to a
common Semitic root; but the occurrence of THWM in Gen 1:2 is not an
argument for the direct dependence of the creation account of Gen 1
on Enuma Elish."

I have noted that nobody has pointed to any extra-biblical source
from the first part of the first millennium B.C.E., or even later (as
I asked for), indicating a world view of the earth fixed on pillars
in a cosmic ocean with a solid vault above. This may suggest that the
Semites never had such a world view, but that views from the Middle
Ages have been projected backwards.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli