Ex nihilo? Was Raqiyah

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Mon Jul 22 14:28:14 EDT 2002

I see creation ex nihilo in verse 1, which I still interpret as an
independent sentence - don't let's get back into discussing the syntax
again. On my interpretation, which is certainly a very ancient one going
back at least to the LXX, there is no mention of preexisting matter,
just that God created the heavens and the earth. This interpretation
takes v.2 as a description of the state of the earth just after it had
been created.

Peter Kirk