Raqiyah

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Mon Jul 22 09:25:08 EDT 2002

In a message dated 7/22/2002 8:05:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
iangoldsmith1969 at yahoo.co.uk writes:

> > Do you mean that you find the notion that the
> > cosmos was created out of water realistic?
> > That the earth was a collection of dry from
> > wet? That daylight was created before the sun?
> > And that it all happened in six days?
>
> If were asigning to God the ability to create matter
> out of nothing, isn't it rather a small thing for him
> to be able to re-arrange the atomic structure of an
> element to make it what he wishes?
> Of course if we were to suggest that the laws of
> science as we know them could be flexible in the hands
> of someone greater than ourselves, we open up the
> possibility of an omnipotent God. We wouldn't want
> that now would we?

Whether I find it realistic is not the question.  The question is, was it
thought to be realistic then.  Consider the fact that Thales of Miletus who
live in the 7th-6th cent. B.C. and founded the Milesian school of philosophy
did precisely posit water as the foundation of all things -- see

http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/t/thales.htm#Thales%20says%20Water%20is%20the%

20Primary%20Principle

gfsomsel