Isaiah 40:22

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Thu Jul 18 16:58:19 EDT 2002

Dear Lawrence,

I have just completed a book entitled (in English translation)
"Science and Bible Translation A study of "christianization" and
"mythologization" in the translation of the Hebrew text of the
Bible". It is based on a study of three Danish and two Norwegian
Bible translations and will soon be published in those two languages.

My vantage point has been the paradigms on which the translators have
built their work. Three such paradigms are evident, 1) The Bible is
inspired by God and true in every resepct, 2) Jesus Christ is the
center of the Bible and the value of the words depends on their
relation to him, and 3) the Bible is a human document with all the
same errors as are found in all other human documents (	the
historical-critical model). The coloring of the translated text of
the OT in a Christian or mythological way is very much related to the
paradigm of the translators.

Interestingly, paradigm 1 and 2 have often been criticized by
critical scholars. Differences of opinion regarding details of 3) are
often voiced, but the paradigm as such are seldom questioned by
critical scholars. This means that a host of things which are pure
speculation are taken for granted, and is conveyed from teacher to
student and from teacher to student generation after generation, from
the days of Eichorn, Graf, Wellhausen, Döderlein and Rosenmuller and
up to the present. My point is that we should be more critical
towards the critical paradigm itself and stop taking so much for
granted.

As to your question, I suggest that you read about Middle Babylonian
astronomy from the 7th century BCE onward and see how much the
astronomers of that time knew about the universe. Please also
consider Eratostenes of Cyrene 276-194 BCE. On the basis of the 7
degree difference of the angle of the rays of the sun in Alexandria
compared to Syene (Aswan) he was able to calculate the circumference
of the Earth with an error of between 1/2 to 17 percent. That was
long before Columbus! Why should not the writers of the Bible have an
accurate knowledge of particular things?

I have not claimed that the Bible is a textbook of the natural
sciences, but I suggest that we take its words at face value instead
of reading them through the glasses of a certain paradigm, or,
perhaps more realistic, that we are constant aware of the paradigm to
which we subscribe, and take that into consideration when we work
with the Biblical text.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli