Isaiah 40:22 - Circle of the earth

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Thu Jul 18 16:48:09 EDT 2002

Surely "God of Israel" doesn't mean "God of the land of Israel"? Israel
was originally a person, then a nation, and only thirdly a land. So "God
of Israel" was originally "God of Jacob", then "God of the people of
Israel", long before they even lived in the land of Israel. The concept
of a god of a particular geographical area does not seem to have been an
Israelite one.

Peter Kirk