Isaiah 40:22

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Thu Jul 18 16:48:09 EDT 2002

Well, certainly some of the (relatively) ancients knew that the earth
was round, i.e. spherical. One of the Greek philosophers calculated its
size quite accurately by noting the difference in the height of the sun
between Alexandria and Aswan. Augustine of Hippo and Dante both clearly
taught that the earth was spherical. If Columbus' contemporaries really
believed that the earth was flat, they were almost as out of touch as
today's flat-earthers.

Peter Kirk