Puns.

George Athas gathas at hotkey.net.au
Wed Jul 17 02:39:41 EDT 2002

The Hebrew Bible is full of puns. So many, in fact, that I think it would be hard to catalogue all
of them. It is one of the beauties of Hebrew. The system Hebrew works off (the root system) works
wonderfully well for making puns and innuendo and the like. The main puns are in poetic sections,
but you do find them in prose. One that comes to mind is at the end of Judg 4 where Jabin, king of
Canaan (kn[n) is subjugated (root: kn[).But there are many, many more.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
(Sydney, Australia)