Eve/Chavvah.

Pere Casanellas pere.casanellas at btlink.net
Tue Jul 9 04:22:06 EDT 2002

You can read:
Alexander SPERBER, "Hebrew based upon Greek and Latin transliterations",
Hebrew Union College Annual, 12-13 (1937-1938), pp. 103-274.

Sperber explains that in the earlier period heth equals the Greek letter
chi (see the transcription of some names in the codex A of Septuagint) but
that in the later period (Jerome) heth lost its consonantal value and like
aleph served merely for carrying the vowel (notwithstanding that Jerome
explains that the heth was pronounced with a double aspiration). He also
says. "We may assume that the transition from the earlier to the later
period is marked by those transliterations, where heth is rendered by
epsilon" (p. 110-111, 130).

Best regards,

--
Pere Casanellas