ELOHIM NOT PLURAL

Moshe Shulman mshulman at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 30 08:53:31 EST 2002

At 12:31 PM 1/29/02 -0500, Polycarp66 at aol.com wrote:
>>construct state, and heim [literally] "they", alludes to all other forces.
>>Thus Elohim means "the Force of all forces".
>Shoshana,
>The last time I checked (just now) this was still a list for the
>discussion of Biblical Hebrew - not Talmud, not Kabbala. ):eLoH"NW. is a
>plural form with the 1st pl pronominal suffix.  If you wish to ascribe
>some other meaning to the word than that which is indicated by the lexica
>or which might be derived from a rereading of some texts (whether in
>Hebrew or a cognate language), I would suggest that this is not the place
>for it.

I think that an object look at the Tenach shows that 'Elokim' is used as
BOTH singular and plural. It is one of a number of Hebrew words that are of
the plural form, but used for singular and plural. (Look at Exodus 7:1 for
a good example of it's use in the singular.)

moshe shulman mshulman at NOSPAMix.netcom.com    718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh       http://www.chassidus.net
Chassidus shiur:                  chassidus-subscribe at chassidus.net
Chassidus discussion list:        chassidus-subscribe at egroups.com
Outreach Judaism                  http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254    Yahoo/MSN Messaging: mosheshulman