Limits of exegetical aids Was: Elohim not Plural

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 13:56:11 EST 2002

In a message dated 1/29/2002 1:27:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lizfried at umich.edu writes:

> Yet, others want to use the NT.
> Why should one be privileged over the other? You may think
> that only your sacred scriptures hold the key, but others
> equally vehemently think only theirs does.
> To my way of thinking, both are late and tendentious.
> The Hebrew Bible ought to be interpeted on the basis
> of itself and other contemporary documents.
> I'd say before 150 bce, and the DSS copies of the tanak.
> liz

Well put though I have no objection to insights from either rabbinic thought
or from the NT.  I simply would not use them to determine what they may have
meant when written.  They are of value in understanding what they were later
understood to mean.

gfsomsel