One or One?

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 14:02:11 EST 2002

In a message dated 1/28/2002 1:36:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, jwe1 at home.com
writes:

> Could y'all help me with a question please?
>
> On two different occasions (the most recent being yesterday), I have been
> told
> that the Hebrew word "Echad" (one), means a "Composite unity" i.e. more
> than a
> "Single" one; the examples of this were, Adam & Eve being "one" and your
> body
> having many parts but it is "one" body (This reference was presented in a
> discussion on Deut 6:4) .  This person also stated if you were talking
> about a
> "Single" one, you would use the Hebrew word, "Yachid"; the example given for
> Yachid was "One" moon or sun.

My initial response is the shema (Ex. 6.4)

$:Ma( Yi&Rf)"L YY ):eLoH"YNW. YY )eXfD

This is the b-hebrew style transliteration.  Since you did not use it, I will
assume you are not familiar with it and will attempt to transliterate it
phonetically.

Shema Yisroel YHWH eloheynu YHWH echad

Now for the question.  Do you suppose that the author is here saying that
YHWH is a "composite unity"?  I think not.  Hopefully, this will answer your
question.

gfsomsel