Monotheism was "admittedly syncretistic...

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Mon Jan 28 12:17:25 EST 2002

Jonathan, you are reading this text according to modern Western culture
and morality. In those days, as still today among many communities
including my next-door neighbours (from Pakistan), arranged marriages
are the norm and love barely comes into the picture. Also polygamy was
considered wuite normal at the time. Anyway, according to 1 Samuel
22:44, before David married Abigail Saul had already taken Michal away
from David and given her to Palti (X-QATAL indicating preceding event).
No doubt Saul had decreed the divorce, against David's wishes (and
against God's law e.g. Deut 24), as soon as David was forced to flee
alone. David reclaims her as soon as he can, as she is presumably living
in territory controlled by Saul and then by Abner and his puppet ruler
Ishbosheth until 2 Samuel 3. In David's eyes Michal is still his wife,
who has been unjustly stolen from him, and Paltiel is an adulterer. Not
nice by modern standards, I agree, but David was doing the right thing
in his own culture and according to the law of God.

Peter Kirk