Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..

Awohili at aol.com Awohili at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 19:47:22 EST 2002

Dear Rolf,

Concerning Jephthah, my examination of the Hebrew text and several
commentators, classical and modern,  which was published in my article, "Did
Jephthah Kill His Daughter?"  (Bible Review magazine, August 1991),  led me
to the same conclusions that you express. Deuteronomy 12:30, 31 declares
YHWH's abhorrence of the child-sacrificing practices of the neighbors of the
Hebrews.  Important clues in the Hebrew text of the book of Judges point to a
different resolution of the matter than child sacrifice.

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 01/27/2002 12:53:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,