ONE AUTHOR Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 12:18:03 EST 2002

In a message dated 1/27/02 3:17:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
yon_saf at bezeqint.net writes:

> assuming, of course, that P is a
> unified source and all late.

See Jacob Milgrom's commentary on Leviticus (Anchor Bible) for a great
discussion of this question.  His conclusion (overly simplified) is that H is
the older stratum, someone from the H school then redacted H and P together,
and finally a post-exilic H scholar added bits and pieces and combined it all
with JE and D.

> Today, we would not (I hope) decide such momentous matters as the Mosaic
> authorship of the Torah or the birthday of Jesus by majority vote, but by
> checking the evidence.

I'm not sure that the process is really any different today.  Two differing
theories are put forward and eventually the preponderance of scholars agree
with one rather the other.  The majority opinion then becomes the standard
theory taught to upcoming scholars.  Is the difference between "dogma" and
"scholarly consensus" a reality or just something we've invented?

Hayyim
[running for cover]