ONE AUTHOR Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sun Jan 27 04:03:56 EST 2002

Dear Leroy,

A question that should be taken into consederation, relates to the
supposed cases of the nouns and other archaic traits of Hebrew.
Accadian had cases, and the phonological argument why the nouns in
Biblical Hebrew has a long "a" were verbs have a short one, is that
Hebrew once had cases.If we look at the personal names of Genesis and
their explanations##, they do not allways seem to fit. This is often
explained as folk etymology, but we cannot exclude the possibility
that the reason is a slightly different language.

  Let us make a thought experiment: Suppose that the Pentateuch was
written in the 15th century B.C.E. when the language was more
"archaic", Later the cases fell away and the language evolved (as for
instance was the case with English). At some point the need arose to
update the text, linguistically speaking, and udjust the archaisms,
and one or more scribes got this job. Such a work, that would not be
"redaction" in the technical sense of the word, would give the text a
"modern" look. As a matter of fact, the text of the Tanach (save a
few of the late books) is remarkably uniform, and this would conform
to the suggestion above.

To date the text on linguistic grounds is extremely difficult, if not
impossible. So I ask the question once more: Which evidence do we
have, apart from educated guessing and pure  specualtion, that show
that the Pentateuch was not written in the 15th century B.C.E? We
should note that to be consistent in the application of at least J
and E on the *verse* level results in an impossible patchwork of a
text. However, Genesis seems to refer to 11 different sources from
which the book was made, and a study of these may peerhaps give some
food for the mind.

##
Some names may be of foreign origin, such as NIMROD. It is often
explained as a Nifal participle of MRD ("the rebel"). However, it can
be explained as "Marduk", the chief god of Babylon. The Babylonians
borrowed their cuneiform signs from the Sumerians, and the signs
could be read either with the sounds of their Sumerian or Accadian
values. The Sumerian values of signs representing the chief God of
Babylon are AMAR UD, and the only thing that is lacking in "Nimrod"
is the initial "n". (the Accadian form "Marduk" *may* be a
construction with the Sumerian genitive particle "k", AMAR.UD.UK >
MARDUK). Actions that are ascribed to Nimrod in Genesis are ascribed
to Marduk in Accadian tablets.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli