G.Gertoux and the Name...

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Sat Jan 26 00:43:32 EST 2002

>You never know, perhaps someone out there pronounces "ouest" /uest/, but I've never
>heard it!

Just to follow up...

The distinction between /w/ and /u/ is sometimes not made in modern languages, as
it seems in both French and Italian. Working with Italians, I have often said that
the letter "u" can be used as a consonant and they swear to me I'm wrong, so I
point out words like "uomo" (man) and "uova" (egg) and ask if they really pronounce
these words as written, giving pronunciation examples. It takes a while.

The same is true for /j/ and /i/. In Italian "yesterday" is "ieri" in which the
first "i" is a /j/, just as in the French "hier" (also think of "hierarchie" or
"hiatus").

(How does this relate to BH? It's just the same story of waw and yod being used
both as consonants and, where necessary, as vowels.)

Ian