G.Gertoux and the Name...

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Sat Jan 26 00:27:13 EST 2002

You never know, perhaps someone out there pronounces "ouest" /uest/, but I've never heard it!

Ian

But in foreign names transcribed in French "ou" can be a consonant like
English "w". How many syllables are there in Ouagadougou (capital of
Burkina Faso)? It would be different if there was a diaeresis over the
"u", as in the Hebrew grammarian's name Jouon, but how is that name
actually pronounced?

Peter Kirk