Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Fri Jan 25 11:12:35 EST 2002

Dear Jonathan,

 From this post of yours and from earlier posts I realize that you
engage in a sound critical scholarship in an intelligent way. I try
to do the same. However, that is not allways easy because several
dilemmas arise. The most pressing one, as I see it, is that in
scientific research "God" as a *factor* must a priori be excluded. We
cannot seek recourse in something metaphysical ("God") if we are
doing scientific research. The problem, however, is that we research
documents that not only speak about God, but where several authors
explicitly say that they were inspired by God. So how can we do an
intelligent research on documents that are claimed to be rooted in
something that we a priori exclude?

Next year I will publish a thesis based on an analysis of the 80.000
finite and infinite verbs in the Tanach and the DSS, where I propose
a completely new understanding of the verbal system of Classical
Hebrew. In this research I have completely avoided the problem
mentioned above, but it becomes acute when the question of monotheism
is at stake.

After pondering on the situation for a long time I have taken the
position that I strictly have to follow critical scientific
methodology, but that I, at the same time must take a critical stand
towards critical scholarship. This does not necessarily mean that I
sneak God in through the backdoor, but rather that I do not exclude
the possibility that some, or all the documents of the Tanach are
different from other earlier and contemporaneous documents. Thus God
is not a factor that is a variable in the scientific research, but at
the same time the claims that the documents are a result of work of a
"God" in a way is held open. Even though the position that the
documents of the Tanach are just like other documents is strictly
scientific, it is just as dogmatic (and religious) as the opposite
viewpoint of God's inspiration.

What has lead me to take this position is my own hermeneutical circle
that has been at work in my study over many years of ancient
documents. For instance, I contiually work with Accadian documents,
and have translated the Atrahasis into Norwegiean in a series of
acncient Holy writings. In this book I listed 24 different passages
in the Gilgamesh/Atrahasis which are almost completely parallel to
bassages in Genesis. The laws of probability definitely speaks
against the documents having originated independently. But what is
the relationship? Most scholars would say that Genesis has adopted
thoughts from an Accadian original; and this is a fine example of
scholarship that is too critical, or even unbalanced, Because, how
can they know? The fact that cuneiform tablets, that are easily
preserved, are older than Hebrew documents of a more vulnerable
material, say very little. However, for me, after a study of many
years, it is clear that there is an enormeous quality difference
between the Accadian accounts of the creation/flood  and the Genesis
account.The Babylonian gods are clearly the invention of men, having
all the degraded characteristics of men ##., while my judgement is
that the God in the Genesis account is  of a completely different
nature. Therefore, I see no reason to postulate that Genesis has
adopted Accadian material; it is more logical to me that that both
accounts stem from a common source, but with different final products
as a result.

Some years ago we read the laws of Hammurapi in class and it bacame
evident for the students how different these are from the laws in the
Pentateuch, even though there are similarities as well. So it seems
to me that there generally is a clear quality difference between the
Hebrew documents of the Tanach and other documents of antiquity.
Therefore I, at the outset, do not a priori deny the claims of the
Hebrew writers as to when their accounts where written and the origin
of their information. But these should rather be scrutinized without
a priori judgements.

It seems to me that something like a dogmatic religion has been built
up around modern critical scholarship. Noth's theory of a
deuteronomistic history etc and many other speculative hypotheses
have almost been elevated to data, while the truth is that hard facts
regarding when the different books were written and who were the
writers are completely lacking. For instance,in my linguistic
analysis of the participles of the Tanach I found a use which was
uniform throughout the book of Isaiah but almost non-existent in
other books. I will not say that this proves that there was one
author of the books, but the evidence for two or three authors is
very weak indeed. The great problem of modern critical scholarship
are not all the unfounded assumptions on which it builds, but rather
that many researchers are not aware of the fact that the very
foundation is lacking. I fully respect your methodology and your
position, but with all respect I propose alternatives.

As to my position, I am very positive to the text of the Hebrew
documents, because of all the single data I have found to be of a
higher quality that that of contemporaneous documents. It is my
impression that the concept of God in the Tanach is sublime and
elevated, in stark contrast to that of other nations around. Your
interpretations regarding the divine suzerain and polytheism are
possible but hardly the only alternative. I see no conflict between
Isaiah 41-- and Exodus 20 because the subject is addressed from
different angles. Isaiah does not deny the existence of the $EDIM,
but he points out to those who think that carved images have
intrinsic life and power that this is a false view. And similarly,
the writer of Exodus does not say that the carved images have life
and power. In view of the sublime descriptions of the one Creator I
take the implication of the writer of Exodus of other living gods to
refer to the $EDIM.

As I understand the NT, the Christian writers had this view as well.
Regarding idols Paul wrote:

1Cor. 8:4 -6 (NIB)  So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols:
We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is
no God but one.
5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth
(as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"),
6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things
came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ,
through whom all things came and through whom we live.

Paul denies that an idol is anything, and the same he does in verse
19 below, but then he continues in verse 20 and tells that behind the
lifless images are the $EDIM the false gods. These views, therefore,
are not mutually exclusive.

1Cor. 10:19-20 Do I mean then that a sacrifice offered to an idol is
anything, or that an idol is anything?
20 No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to
God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons.

My understanding, therefore, is that the Tanach and the NT both
promote monotheism and nothing but monotheism. There is one supreme
God, YHWH, and he has a heavenly family of Sons who are called
"angels" and who occationally are called "gods". However, the
designation "gods" does not make this group a "pantheon" of gods in
the henotheistic sense, but they are viewed as YHWH's heavenly
family, just as men who worship YHWH are his earthly family. So while
I fully endorse the scientific methodology of critical scholarship, I
argue in favor of being critical to critical scholarship as well, and
for alternative understandings.

## After the destruction of mankind the goddess Nintu wept because
she was hungry for lack of sacrifices from manking, and she thirsted
for beer, because no human any longer supplied her with that drink.
(Atrahasis tablet 3).

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli