yayin references

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Thu Jan 24 20:50:16 EST 2002

In a message dated 1/24/2002 7:37:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cierpke at prodigy.net writes:

> At 05:27 PM 1/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Shalom l'kol:
> >
> >I am trying to find one or more ancient (1 B.C. or earlier) citations, by
> >a Jew who lived at that time, to the word "yayin" being used to refer to
> >UNfermented grape juice. Thanks! Matt
> >

> I would suggest :
>
> Isaiah 16:10
> Jeremiah 40:10b
> Nehemiah 13:15

Neh 13.15 is not that certain.  The press was a "wine-press" because it was
used in the production of wine (after it was also fermented).  I hardly think
that it was thereby referring to the intermediate product (grape juice) as
wine.  The Jer and Is references are of a similar nature - the reference is
to the ultimate product.

gfsomsel