Fw: Pronunciation of WAW

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Thu Jan 24 15:55:05 EST 2002

When we read the weekly Torah and Haftora portions from the scriptures in
synagogue, as well as in all prayers and blessings, the YHVH word is
pronounced as Adonai.

It is our oral, handed down tradition, the Oral Torah, that no one knows the
correct pronunciation of the Name, as it has great spiritual powers, and
cannot be trusted to just anyone.

Maybe in Biblical times, other people besides just the High Priest, knew the
correct pronunciation, maybe not.

It is not for anyone here on this list, to say.

Shoshanna

> > Please keep in mind that no one knows how to pronounce that name, and no
one
> > was allowed to pronounce that name except for one person, in one place,
once
> > a year.
>
> It is my impression from the poetry sections of the Hebrew scriptures that
> YHWH would be pronounced by the reader when read. I thought the
prohibition
> on saying the name came from a much later time than, for example, the
> prophet Jeremiah.
>

> Bill Rea, Information Technology Dept., Canterbury  University  \_
> E-Mail b dot rea at it dot canterbury dot ac dot nz             </   New
> Phone   64-3-364-2331, Fax     64-3-364-2332                   /)  Zealand
> Unix Systems Administrator                                    (/'
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [rosewalk at concentric.net]
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')