Pronunciation of WAW

Bill Rea cctr114 at cantsl.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jan 24 15:11:31 EST 2002

Shoshanna wrote:-

> Please keep in mind that no one knows how to pronounce that name, and no one
> was allowed to pronounce that name except for one person, in one place, once
> a year.

It is my impression from the poetry sections of the Hebrew scriptures that
YHWH would be pronounced by the reader when read. I thought the prohibition
on saying the name came from a much later time than, for example, the
prophet Jeremiah.

Bill Rea, Information Technology Dept., Canterbury  University  \_
E-Mail b dot rea at it dot canterbury dot ac dot nz             </   New
Phone   64-3-364-2331, Fax     64-3-364-2332                   /)  Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator                                    (/'