"admittedly syncretistic Kuntillet Ajrud fragments"

Jonathan D. Safren yonsaf at beitberl.ac.il
Thu Jan 24 02:06:58 EST 2002

I don;t see why there should be any doubt about YHWH $mrn at KA being
understood as YHWH of Samaria. From KA there's another insciription with
YHWH Teman, one of the places mentioned in the Bible (Habakkuj 3?) as a
location of divine theophany. Cf. also the incipits to the Blessing of Moses
(Deut. 33) and the Song of Deborah (Jud. 5) - YHWH seems to reveal himself,
or the YHWHs seem to reveal themselves, in all sorts of mountainous and
desert locations to the south of Israel - indicating perhaps His - or
their - origins?
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College