"admittedly syncretistic Kuntillet Ajrud fragments"

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Thu Jan 24 00:47:58 EST 2002

I can't see how a text mentioning yhwh and '$rth needs be syncretistic at all.

If I point to the el-Qom inscription which again talks of yhwh and his asherah, then I guess we must
conclude that that was also an "admittedly syncretistic" inscription. Then again, the yhw of Elephantine
also had a consort (and perhaps a son).

Does anyone know of any text securely datable to before the exile which talks of yhwh without talking
of a consort?

We are left only with evidence for yhwh and a consort from the earliest of periods, so I would guess that
that was the status quo. Wouldn't you?

Ian

Well, I guess I was assuming that the reference to "Yahweh and his
Asherah", heading a drawing of a god and a goddess, wasn't exactly up to
the standards of prophetic monotheism :-).  I know that phrase has been
interpreted in different ways, but isn't the most straightforward to
understand it as a reference to Yahweh and his consort Asherah, who are
pictured in the drawing below the inscription?

Still, I'm no expert on these matters, and if there's good reason not to
understand the phrase that way, I'm quite open to learning more.

Ken