"admittedly syncretistic Kuntillet Ajrud fragments"

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Jan 23 23:57:16 EST 2002

> Well, I guess I was assuming that the reference to "Yahweh and his
> Asherah", heading a drawing of a god and a goddess, wasn't exactly up to
> the standards of prophetic monotheism :-).  I know that phrase has been
> interpreted in different ways, but isn't the most straightforward to
> understand it as a reference to Yahweh and his consort Asherah, who are
> pictured in the drawing below the inscription?

Another part of the problem is how to interpret the phrase YHWH
Shomeron.  I've seen it "Yahweh the guardian," Yahweh of Samaria"
and various others.  I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that
other peoples might have picked up Israel's YHWH and added him
to their own pantheons, and we know from the biblical history that
Israel had a long history of departing from monotheism, so I suspect
that the inscriptions come from one of those times, or from one of
those other pantheons.  We certainly can't construct too much,
especially covering a long period of time, based on this one small
discovery.

Along the same lines, I have read somewhere about another
inscription from KA that mentions El and Baal; does anybody have
info on that one?

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
This time, like all times, is a very good one if we but know what to do
with it.
                  -Emerson