Pronunciation of WAW

Trevor & Julie Peterson 06peterson at cua.edu
Tue Jan 22 20:11:53 EST 2002

Okay, I'm still curious. On what basis do you make this distinction? We use
the Israeli pronunciation, which doesn't make a distinction; but one of my
profs thinks it was originally a lateral fricative and explained it as
positioning the tongue for /l/ and blowing air around it.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics