Pronunciation of WAW

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Tue Jan 22 19:49:00 EST 2002

[snip]
George,
> BTW -- I always encourage my students to pronounce waw as "w" because it is more authentic and
> easier for learning vocab and avoiding confusion with veth (ie, beth without dagesh). I also
> encourage them to pronounce `ayin, and to try to distinguish between kaph & qoph, samekh & sin, tet
> & taw.

Do you have them distinguish all the begadkefat letters as well?
e.g. non-dagesh Tau as "th," non-dagesh daleth as voiced "th" and
so forth?  In college I had one prof who did and one who didn't; the
one who didn't only distinguished beth, kaf and pe and kept the
others "hard" all the time.  I've picked up that approach myself, but I
sometimes wonder if I should have.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
This time, like all times, is a very good one if we but know what to do
with it.
                  -Emerson