Pronunciation of WAW

George Athas gathas at hotkey.net.au
Tue Jan 22 18:42:56 EST 2002

The samekh is a rounder "s" sound. If I can describe it this way: Put your mouth in position to
make an "r" sound but make an "s" sound instead. It's similar to our English "s", but with a bit of
a whistle quality to it.

With sin, it is a much more sibilant sound, similar to modern Arabac sad (ie, tsadhe). Put your
mouth in position for "th" (as in "think"), but say "s". It should come out as a hissing sound,
almost like a "th", but distinct from "th". You should feel very snake-like as you pronounce it.
:)

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
(Sydney, Australia)