Qa+aNiY in 1Kings 12:10

George Athas gathas at hotkey.net.au
Mon Jan 21 19:38:17 EST 2002

The context suggests Rehoboam boasting about his own potency in a way that makes his father look
impotent. There seems to be innuendo here, but it is being used to make a political remark, not
just a crude and snide insult. Remember, in the ancient world, the sexual exploits of a king were
very much connected to his ability to rule (cf. Absalom with David's concubines). In the case of
1Kgs. 12:10, I believe it is the "loins" that are the euphemism, rather than "little finger".

I've always wondered, though, could QATANI in this case refer to "little toe" rather than "finger"?

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
(Sydney, Australia)