PS And God saw that it was good

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Sun Jan 20 20:26:53 EST 2002

But I remember in the deep recesses of far back memory, that there
are two letter roots

Shoshanna

Well, according to BDB the root of TOV is tet-waw-bet. This root is also
found in Arabic, with a yod equivalent in the middle, and Akkadian. This
confirms that the roots were separate as far back as proto-Semitic. But
some scholars have surmised that many triliteral roots were originally
biliteral in an even older form of the language, and were then extended.
So there is room for a hypothesis that both TOV and TEVA` come from a
common biliteral root tet-bet. Unfortunately such hypotheses are quite
unprovable and so speculative as we have no records that far back.

Peter Kirk

TOV.

> Peter Kirk
>

> > Also the word Tov is related to the word meaning "nature" - Teva
> >
> > So you could translate this as "and G-d saw that it was all working
> > well according to the laws of nature which He set into place."
> >
> > Shoshanna
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [Peter_Kirk at sil.org]
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to leave-b-hebrew-
> 14207U at franklin.oit.unc.edu

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [rosewalk at concentric.net]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to