PS And God saw that it was good

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Sun Jan 20 18:52:44 EST 2002

Well, according to BDB the root of TOV is tet-waw-bet. This root is also
found in Arabic, with a yod equivalent in the middle, and Akkadian. This
confirms that the roots were separate as far back as proto-Semitic. But
some scholars have surmised that many triliteral roots were originally
biliteral in an even older form of the language, and were then extended.
So there is room for a hypothesis that both TOV and TEVA` come from a
common biliteral root tet-bet. Unfortunately such hypotheses are quite
unprovable and so speculative as we have no records that far back.

Peter Kirk

TOV.