Qa+aNiY in 1Kings 12:10

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Sun Jan 20 18:52:44 EST 2002

Well, I recently heard it suggested that it is not QF+FNIY "my little
finger" but MIM.FT:N"Y "than the loins of".which is the euphemism for
the genitalia. Or maybe the euphemism is only in the English cf. NIV
"waist", this makes sense (even in its duality) as the literal meaning
of MFT:NAYIM. Against that view, the woman in Proverbs 31:17 "girds up
her loins", but girding up loins had become a fixed expression. TWOT
also rejects that view, pointing out that XFLFC and YFR"K rather than
MFT:NAYIM are used with sexual and procreative connotations.

Peter Kirk