CHESED=Grace

Ken Smith kens at 180solutions.com
Fri Jan 18 15:06:05 EST 2002

The words BRYT and XSD are found together in the following verses (let's
hear it for software!):

Deut. 7:9
Deut. 7:12
1 Kings 8:23
Is. 55:3
Ps. 106:45
Dan. 9:4
Neh. 1:5
Neh. 9:32
2 Chron. 6:14

In a number of these passages, the two are used in parallel, e.g., "You
will know that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God, $MR HBRYT
WHXSD L)HBYW" (Deut. 7:9).

I agree with you that the two are not synonymous -- but I'll confess, I
see the point of those who want to understand it as something like
"covenant faithfulness".  The implication of any number of passages
seems to be that one is in a position to appeal to God's XSD because God
has obligated himself by cutting a BRYT.

Ken Smith