CHESED=Grace

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Fri Jan 18 09:24:40 EST 2002

I have never associated the word Chesed with the word Brit.

But if there is a particular passage in which they both occur, then
in that passage they obviously have a reason to be together.

If an appeal to the divine Chesed is often related to themes of
covenant and covenantal obligations, so that would seem to mean that
we are appealing to G-d to forgive us, by calling on His quality of
Chesed, when we fail to keep a detail of our covenant.

Or, that perhaps G-d made the Brit with us in the first place because
of His quality of Chesed

But chesed doesn't 'mean' covenant

Shoshanna

I agree that XeSeD isn't merely a synonym for B:RiYT, but the two do
seem to be related in some instances (see my last email).

Others may disagree, but simple assertions ("It is"/"It isn't"), without
any explanation or clarification or supporting arguments, aren't very
helpful to me.  I'm an admitted newcomer, but from what I can tell, this
list is supposed to be about the Hebrew text and not merely our
opinions.  The more each post touches on the former, the better.

With that in mind, I would be interested in knowing more of your
thoughts on the relationship between XeSeD and B:RiYT.  It doesn't seem
to me that they're synonymous, certainly; but the logic of any number of
passages seems to indicate that an appeal to the divine XSD is often
_related_ to themes of covenant and covenantal obligations.

Ken Smith

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [rosewalk at concentric.net]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to