CHESED

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Thu Jan 17 14:05:15 EST 2002

Surely in Gen 24:27 the XESED is from God towards Abraham, this
servant's master?

In 24:49, the XESED is from Laban and Bethuel towards Abraham. This is
presumably a matter of obligations to relatives, and "loyalty" would fit
rather well, perhaps better than "commitment" in this case. But perhaps
there is a need for anthropological data here as well: in that culture,
did Laban have an obligation to provide a bride for his relative?

On the other hand, I have heard it said that XESED in Genesis is a
rather different concept from XESED in the rest of the Hebrew Bible.

Peter Kirk