CHESED

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Wed Jan 16 09:02:27 EST 2002

My first choice is  "Loving kindness" -   my second choice is "mercy"

Chesed is the fourth "sephira" according to Kabbala, and the source
of all the mercy in the world, its opposite is Gevura, "stern
judgement"

Shoshanna

  I suppose it can be translated as "faithfulness", too.

Ausra

   George Athas <gathas at hotkey.net.au> wrote:

> The second question might refer to a different word altogether--khesed,
> which is notoriously difficult to translate into English but probably gets
> rendered both as "righteousness" and "charity" in English versions. It is
> often understood as something like "covenant faithfulness," but I don't
> know that that really captures the sense either.

It's not that hard to translate CHESED into English. I go for either
"commitment" or "devotion".

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
(Sydney, Australia)

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [apazera at yahoo.co.uk]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')

Do You Yahoo!?
Send FREE
<http://rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/tag/?http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/>vi
deo emails in
<http://rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/tag/?http://mail.yahoo.com/>Yahoo! Mail.
--- You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: