Job 4:6

Trevor & Julie Peterson 06peterson at cua.edu
Wed Jan 16 05:38:50 EST 2002

It seems like there were really two distinct questions here. I agree that
"fear" is probably a more straightforward gloss to identify this word; and
no, it's not the same word as what typically gets translated "righteousness"
(tsedek).

The second question might refer to a different word altogether--khesed,
which is notoriously difficult to translate into English but probably gets
rendered both as "righteousness" and "charity" in English versions. It is
often understood as something like "covenant faithfulness," but I don't know
that that really captures the sense either. It has nothing to do with this
verse.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics